Mission & Values
Maryvale, a Catholic independent girls' school serving grades six through 12, affiliated with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, provides an environment in which each student can reach her academic, spiritual, physical and civic potential in a loving, supportive and diverse community. Building upon its unique and special heritage, Maryvale's mission is to provide an exceptional education that responds to change and prepares young women for life.
- We believe that a Catholic education at Maryvale is guided by the charism of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur and the teachings of St. Julie Billiart.
- We believe that the value of the individual is central to an enriched educational experience and development of the whole person.
- We believe that single sex education will enable young women to face future challenges.
- We believe that an education rooted in Catholic values will guide students to make appropriate decisions and accept responsibility for personal choices.
- We believe that an academically challenging college preparatory curriculum develops lifelong learners who think critically and communicate effectively.
- We believe that service guided by social responsibility and compassion defines Maryvale as a Catholic community.
- We believe that diversity strengthens a community.
- We believe that effective, ongoing communication within the Maryvale community fosters common values and direction.
The Board of Trustees, the administration, faculty, staff and students of Maryvale Preparatory School dedicate themselves to furthering the academic, spiritual, physical and civic development of each student. The Maryvale community believes that teachers and parents work together as the co-educators of students. As an educational community, we nurture a love for learning and the innate quest for Truth. This all-encompassing endeavor is conducted in an educational atmosphere, which is pervasively Christian and specifically Catholic. Values are developed within this context of faith.
Central to the philosophy of Maryvale is the validation of the individual, which is evident in its commitment to small class size in which each student may develop critical thinking skills, integrity and resourcefulness so that she may take responsibility for strengthening her faith and academic abilities. To this end, the Maryvale faculty encourages each student to learn to appreciate the value of a traditional curriculum, supported by technology as a means of developing creativity, morality and just pride in her achievements. Maryvale emphasizes the importance of responsible decision-making and acceptance of consequences in order for each student to become honorable citizen of the world. In an atmosphere of respect, the various constituencies of the Maryvale community cooperate to support each student to realize her academic, spiritual, physical and civic potential. A variety of electives and co-curricular activities allow for each student to express and develop her individual gifts.
Drawing its specific character from the heritage of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, the Maryvale community values charity, simplicity, justice and human dignity. Students are encouraged to love and respect the community, the country and the world. Maryvale teaches students to lead as responsible women in a pluralistic society. Finally, Maryvale strives to challenge young women to extend learning beyond the classroom to serve others in need in the name of Jesus Christ.
Maryvale does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its policies for education, admission, employment, scholarship/financial assistance, athletics and other school-administered programs.
“We must have courage in the times we live in. Great souls are needed, souls having the interests of God at heart.” - St. Julie Billiart, Foundress, Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur
Inspired by the Hallmarks of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, Maryvale Preparatory School is dedicated to building and advancing a respectful and compassionate culture that embraces diversity, equity, justice and inclusion.
We believe that our diversity is reflected in many facets among individuals including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, national origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, learning style and ability. The Maryvale Board of Trustees, students, families, employees and alumnae celebrate and honor the diverse gifts that God bestows upon each person.
The Maryvale community is enriched and strengthened when all are able to act willingly, share openly and live securely without fear of judgment, ridicule or prejudice. We trust that the comprehensive experiences of a Maryvale education will enable students, as well as the members of the broader community, to value themselves and the dignity of others as leaders in a global community.
Approved by the Board of Trustees on June 30, 2019.
These values will serve as the basis for Maryvale’s efforts to fulfill its mission and achieve its vision for the future:
Excellence: The school, its administration, faculty, staff and students will strive for excellence in all endeavors.
Respect: The school will encourage mutual respect among administration, faculty, staff, parents and students.
Self-discipline: Maryvale students are encouraged to exercise self-discipline and commitment in pursuing their academic, co-curricular and personal goals.
Self-knowledge: Knowledge of self and the ensuing confidence that builds upon it is a hallmark of our students.
Social Justice: The school challenges administration, faculty, staff and students to lead by participation in community service.
Diversity: The school embraces diversity.
Constituent Relations: The school is highly responsive to its multiple constituents and consistently delivers the highest level of service.
Effective Leadership: The school encourages strong and consistent leadership among its administration, faculty and staff who serve as role models for the students. The school also encourages strong leadership among its students.
Fiscal Responsibility and Accountability: The school manages its resources in a fiscally responsible and accountable manner.
It is our hope that a Maryvale graduate will be...
A compassionate woman who:
- continues and strengthens her relationship with God.
- sees herself as God’s creation.
- understands Catholic beliefs and social teachings.
- exemplifies a commitment to social justice through service to others.
- demonstrates humility and exhibits empathy.
- upholds her beliefs and morals especially when faced with challenging situations.
- respects and appreciates diverse peoples, cultures and ideas.
An independent thinker who:
- expresses ideas, opinions and perceptions through speaking and writing to a variety of audiences.
- uses her strong academic foundation for problem solving, deductive reasoning and critical thinking.
- aspires to become a life-long learner.
A confident individual who:
- has a realistic sense of her strengths and weaknesses.
- fosters leadership in herself and others.
- demonstrates integrity.
- recognizes and values the gifts, talents and accomplishments of herself and others.
- accepts challenges with faith and courage.
A responsible woman who:
- manages her time effectively.
- recognizes the value of community and her role in it.
- values her physical and emotional health and well being.