Mission & Values
Maryvale, a Catholic independent girls' school serving grades six through 12, affiliated with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, provides an environment in which each student can reach her academic, spiritual, physical and civic potential in a loving, supportive and diverse community. Building upon its unique and special heritage, Maryvale's mission is to provide an exceptional education that responds to change and prepares young women for life.
“We must have courage in the times we live in. Great souls are needed, souls having the interests of God at heart.” - St. Julie Billiart, Foundress, Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur
Inspired by the Hallmarks of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, Maryvale Preparatory School is dedicated to building and advancing a respectful and compassionate culture that embraces diversity, equity, justice and inclusion.
We believe that our diversity is reflected in many facets among individuals including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, national origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, learning style and ability. The Maryvale Board of Trustees, students, families, employees and alumnae celebrate and honor the diverse gifts that God bestows upon each person.
The Maryvale community is enriched and strengthened when all are able to act willingly, share openly and live securely without fear of judgment, ridicule or prejudice. We trust that the comprehensive experiences of a Maryvale education will enable students, as well as the members of the broader community, to value themselves and the dignity of others as leaders in a global community.
Approved by the Board of Trustees on June 30, 2019.
- We proclaim by our lives, even more than by our words, that God is good.
- We honor the dignity and sacredness of each person.
- We educate for, and act on behalf of, justice and peace in the world.
- We commit ourselves to community service.
- We embrace the gift of diversity.
- We create community among those with whom we work and with those we serve.
- We develop holistic learning communities which educate for life.
- We believe that a Catholic education at Maryvale is guided by the charism of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur and the teachings of St. Julie Billiart.
- We believe that the value of the individual is central to an enriched educational experience and development of the whole person.
- We believe that single sex education will enable young women to face future challenges.
- We believe that an education rooted in Catholic values will guide students to make appropriate decisions and accept responsibility for personal choices.
- We believe that an academically challenging college preparatory curriculum develops lifelong learners who think critically and communicate effectively.
- We believe that service guided by social responsibility and compassion defines Maryvale as a Catholic community.
- We believe that diversity strengthens a community.
- We believe that effective, ongoing communication within the Maryvale community fosters common values and direction.
The Maryvale Way
- Respect: A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities or achievements.
- Inclusivity: The practice or policy of making space for everyone.
- Dignity: The state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect.