Mission & Values
Maryvale, a Catholic independent girls' school serving grades six through 12, affiliated with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, provides an environment in which each student can reach her academic, spiritual, physical and civic potential in a loving, supportive and diverse community. Building upon its unique and special heritage, Maryvale's mission is to provide an exceptional education that responds to change and prepares young women for life.Professional Affiliation
Maryvale has current school memberships with National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA), International Coalition of Girls' School (ICGS), Association of Independent Maryland and DC Schools (AIMS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), and National Business Officers Association (NBOA).
Maryvale is accredited through Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Hallmarks of a Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Learning Community
- We proclaim by our lives, even more than by our words, that God is good.
- We honor the dignity and sacredness of each person.
- We educate for, and act on behalf of, justice and peace in the world.
- We commit ourselves to community service.
- We embrace the gift of diversity.
- We create community among those with whom we work and with those we serve.
- We develop holistic learning communities which educate for life.
The Maryvale Way
- We believe that a Catholic education at Maryvale is guided by the charism of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur and the teachings of St. Julie Billiart.
- We believe that the value of the individual is central to an enriched educational experience and development of the whole person.
- We believe that single sex education will enable young women to face future challenges.
- We believe that an education rooted in Catholic values will guide students to make appropriate decisions and accept responsibility for personal choices.
- We believe that an academically challenging college preparatory curriculum develops lifelong learners who think critically and communicate effectively.
- We believe that service guided by social responsibility and compassion defines Maryvale as a Catholic community.
- We believe that diversity strengthens a community.
- We believe that effective, ongoing communication within the Maryvale community fosters common values and direction.