The Patricia J. Mitchell '65 Leadership Institute is proud to present our annual Career Afternoon!
Career Afternoon is an annual event sponsored by the Mitchell Leadership Institute; it alternates each year between the Upper School and Middle School. This in-person event invites alumnae, parents, and friends of the community to serve on a panel as speakers. Panelists discuss their current job, career path, educational background, and advice for students.
In 2023, we welcomed 16 total panelists! Our Upper School students appreciated the opportunity to learn from this diverse panel. Learn more about our panelists via the tabs below!
Meet our 2023 panelists!
Marketing, Advertising, & Business
Pamela Dick Custer '71
Director of Marketing (18 years - retired in 2019), Gordon Feinblatt LLC
Responsible for communication to clients for 70 corporate attorneys as well as the general public regarding Gordon Feinblatt’s lawyers’ areas of legal experience using written and printed materials, social media, the firm’s website, seminars and legal programs, and the press.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Undergraduate major: B.A. in English
- Volunteer work: St. Vincent de Paul Board of Directors, The Franciscan Center, The Community Law Center.
- Other interests: My interests are my grandchildren (and family), cooking, exercise, travel, and gardening.
- Favorite subject in high school: English was my favorite subject in high school.
- Advice for Maryvale students: “Do what you love”.
Tracey Dulany P '24
Senior Program Manager, Peraton, a large defense contractor
My job involves ensuring the cost, schedule and performance requirements are met for a cleared government program to including staffing and personnel to procuring necessary materials and even understanding operational tradecraft and software development lifecycle.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Stevenson University, Towson University, University of Maryland, Baltimore, County, and University of Maryland University College.
- Undergraduate major: Started in computer accounting and information systems, graduated with a B.A.in English.
- Volunteer work: My children’s school HSA board, Habitat for Humanity, Maryvale.
- Other interests: The beach, real estate, real estate at the beach, and home decorating.
- Favorite subjects in high school: English, Spanish, drama, and yearbook.
- Advice for Maryvale students: Set goals, make lists toward them, and do the things you say you’re going to do on those lists. Forward is forward. Take a step no matter how small. Sometimes your forward will be greater than another’s. Sometimes your forward will be less than another’s. Both are ok and necessary. Learn to lift others up, cheer yourself on, and keep going. Get yourself a good playlist, a toolbox, learn how to use them, get AAA, never pay a bill late. You don’t need to know all the answers, you can get those by asking good questions. Don’t be afraid that your next career is forever. It’s never too late to change careers or start again.
Morgan Jenkins '11
Digital Media, Associate Manager, National Basketball League (NBA)
Provide advertising strategy to help advertisers achieve campaign goals and develop new business opportunities. Provide operational support to digital advertising campaigns and projects.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Temple University '15 B
- Undergraduate major: Sport Management
- Volunteer work: Harlem YMCA
- Other interests: Training for sprinting triathlon
- Favorite subjects in high school: History, PE, and sociology
Karen Korenman P '27
Vice President, Portfolio & Strategy, Outdoor, Stanley Black & Decker
Integrate businesses with the aim of improving our processes across the Product Lifecycle, bringing improvement in margin for our products.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Loughborough University, UK - BA Hons, Industrial Design & Technology
- University of Northumberland, UK, - MBA
- Other interests: Hiking, camping, gardening, running - everything outdoors.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Math, Design Technology, Geography, Science
- Advice for Maryvale students: Keep striving for what you want to achieve, you will get there. The path might take twists & turns along the way, enjoy the journey as that may change what you're working towards.
Shana Hall Graves, ICF-PCC '95
CEO, Soma Triune Leadership Coaching and Consulting, LLC
Adjunct Faculty, Georgetown University
I partner with international and domestic leaders to create awareness, modify behaviors, identify barriers, facilitate positive change, and achieve desired personal, professional, and organizational goals.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Duke University (B.A.), Georgetown University (Leadership & Coaching Certificate), Cornell University (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Certificate)
- Undergraduate major: Public Policy and Political Science
- Volunteer work: Currently mentoring women, Ukrainian coaches displaced by the war
- Other interests: My family/my son Alex, dinner with family, Ravens Football, Duke Basketball, Muay Thai, anything on Discovery or TLC channels, comedy, Uno, Spades
- Favorite subjects in high school: English and Science (Chemistry, Biology, and Physics)
- Advice for Maryvale students: Take calculated risks, do not fear failure, seek discomfort, laugh at yourself, love yourself, invest in yourself, believe in yourself, practice gratitude, and strive to live authentically even in the presence of doubters.
Sarah Koch '11
Owner, SK Creative
My job entails designing logos, creating brands, developing websites, and producing marketing materials for companies around the globe.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Susquehanna University
- Undergraduate major: Business Marketing and Graphic Design
- Volunteer work: Baltimore Saints (a program where I started volunteering while attending Maryvale)
- Other interests: I love to play hockey and lacrosse. I love to ski, snowboard, hike, and travel.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Graphic Design; Shakespeare (mostly because of Ms. Malone)
- Advice for Maryvale students: Don’t be afraid to take risks, start learning about investing now, and don’t compare your path with others.
Erin Baldwin Todd '03
Partner & Accountant, CohnReznick
I am a certified public accountant (CPA) at a public accounting firm, serving clients in the commercial real estate industry by providing audit and assurance services.
- Colleges/Universities attended: University of Maryland, College Park
- Undergraduate major: Accounting; Spanish
- Volunteer work: Former board member of Playworks Maryland; Current board member of CREW Baltimore
- Other interests: Spending time with my family, cooking, being outside.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Biology, US History
- Advice for Maryvale students: Be curious and ask questions, get involved in things that interest you.
Catherine Simanski Dickinson '04
Attorney & Partner, Schlachman, Belsky, Weiner & Davey, P.A.
Civil Trial attorney for complex personal injury cases.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Villanova University, B.A.; University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D.
- Undergraduate major: Major in Political Science, Minor in Business Law and Corporate Governance
- Volunteer work: Volunteer mock trial coach and judge for high school, college and law school; Volunteer panelist for educational seminars at University of Baltimore School of Law, Gala Committee Member for the Walters Art Museum
- Other interests: Travel, Cooking, Reading
- Favorite subjects in high school: English and History
- Advice for Maryvale students: While it is very important to strive for professional and academic goals, some of your best lessons come from hobbies and unexpected life turns. Making time to do what brings you happiness is crucial to success, so prioritize your free time. It will make you a better student and professional moving forward.
Elizabeth (Liz) Jung '07
Attorney, Law Offices of Marc S. Ward
I represent individuals charged with traffic and criminal offenses in the State of Maryland.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Roanoke College & Florida Coastal School of Law
- Undergraduate major: Sociology with a concentration in criminal justice
- Volunteer work: Platoon 22 & substance abuse/recovery
- Other interests: beach, volleyball, 4 wheeling
- Favorite subjects in high school: History and art
- Advice for Maryvale students: Social media is not real!
Carrie Polley, P '28
Family Magistrate, Circuit Court for Baltimore County
A family magistrate is an officer of the circuit court who is selected by the judges of that court to hear certain family law and juvenile cases, including uncontested divorces and custody (establishment and modifications) matters.
- Colleges/Universities attended: University of Louisville and University of Baltimore School of Law
- Undergraduate major: Communications
- Volunteer work: In high school and college, I tutored younger students at a home for troubled youth. As a private attorney, I routinely provided pro bono services through the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Services. For years, I was a small group leader for children’s ministry at the Church of Nativity.
- Other interests: Mom to a Maryvale student. Active in various bar associations; former president, Baltimore Women’s Bar Association.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Math
- Advice for Maryvale students: Take time to think about what you like to do, and dream and imagine ideal careers. The best way to find out about different careers is to ask people -- family, neighbors, friends, teachers, counselors -- and get them to tell you about their career and college experiences.
Kathleen Hanlon Sinclair '95
Member & Attorney, Silverman Thompson Slutkin & White LLC
I represent corporations and individuals in civil and criminal litigation matters, and I also provide legal advice on a range of legal issues including: criminal law, employment law, civil rights, and commercial litigation.
- Colleges/Universities attended: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; University of Virginia School of Law, ‘02
- Undergraduate major: Psychology & Political Science
- Volunteer work: Loyola Blakefield Mothers’ Club, Boys’ Latin School Parents’ Association; Maryland State Bar Association Lawyer Assistance Program; Loyola Early Learning Center (St. Ignatius Church/St. Ignatius Academy). Maryvale Board of Trustees; Board of Directors, Brown Memorial Weekday School/St. Thomas’ Preschool
- Other interests: former pianist & musical theater participant; avid reader; traveler; swim mom; time with family and friends.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Music, English, History, Mass Media, Philosophy, and Math (with Mrs. Grant).
- Advice for Maryvale students: Take advantage of the myriad leadership opportunities that Maryvale provides its students. Do NOT be afraid to try something new, even if you don’t know if you will excel. Do not be afraid to fail. Learn to cherish the blessings of disappointment, difficulty, and discomfort. Now are the years to stretch and strengthen those resilience muscles as you explore what you love and do not love, and areas in which you excel already or may excel in the future. Just as you have grown and changed since middle school, you will continue to do so throughout adolescence and adulthood. Take advantage of every opportunity you are given to be a reader and writer. Don’t forget the humanities, which Maryvale has successfully, quietly, and lovingly taught since its inception. Maryvale’s ability to balance a progressive mindset in the example of Jesus Christ and the framework of Catholicism will be a part of your personal, spiritual, and professional identities as you learn, lead, and succeed.
Maura Doyle Belden, DNP, CRNP '97
Director of Nursing, Comprehensive Transplant Center at Johns Hopkins Hospital
Adult Nurse Practitioner, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Director of Clinical Operations for Transplant Surgery and Oversight for the heart transplant, lung transplant, kidney transplant and liver transplants. Advise practice providers, nurses, and administrative staff.
- Colleges/Universities attended: University of Notre Dame, Division 1 Lacrosse, BA in Psychology, 2001, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing: BSN in 2002, MSN and NP (Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner) in 2005, and DNP (Doctorate in Nursing Practice) in 2010
- Volunteer work: Volunteer at my kids’ school and parish
- Other interests: Married for 16 years to my best friend. Mom of three amazing boys! Love watching my kids play sports! Enjoy working out and doing F45.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Math and Science
- Advice for Maryvale students: Believe in yourself! Maryvale has a lot to offer academically, spiritually, and with extracurricular activities -- embrace all of it! Challenge yourself and be the best you that you can be!
Melissa Brooks Giese '05
Physician Assistant, Chesapeake Urology Associates, United Urology Group
Advanced practice provider in urology providing care to patients on both inpatient and outpatient basis - including assessments, management, and occasional minor procedures (complicated catheter insertion with or without cystoscopy).
- Colleges/Universities attended: Gettysburg College (Undergraduate), Towson University/ CCBC Essex Physician Assistant Program including Masters of Medical Science (Graduate/ Masters).
- Undergraduate major: Health Sciences, Bachelor of Arts
- Other interests: Yoga, running/walking, cooking, spending time with my family.
- Favorite subjects in high school: Biology, History, Anatomy and Physiology, Art
- Advice for Maryvale students: Be fluid as you journey into college and beyond. Keep your long term goals in sight and work towards them, but don’t forget about the things that are going on in front of you. Take every opportunity- you may surprise yourself!
Dr. Lisa Jordan P '24
Licensed Psychologist, Private practice and the Anxiety and Stress Disorders Institute of Maryland
I provide evaluations and mental health services for adults with anxiety, depression, psychological trauma, substance use disorders, and general life stress.
- Colleges/Universities attended: Elmira College (B.S. in Psychology); Michigan State University (Ph.D. in Psychology and Urban Affairs); Arizona State University (Postdoctoral program for prevention research)
- Undergraduate major: Psychology
- Volunteer work: Helping Up Mission (program for men with substance use issues) and various programs to prevent mental health and substance use problems among youth.
- Other interests: Dance, art (fabric crafts)
- Favorite subjects in high school: Psychology, Anatomy & Physiology, Literature (especially the classics)
- Advice for Maryvale students: Keep your options open because you never know what you will end up doing in life and what knowledge/exposure will be helpful to you.
Paula Murray RN, MSN P '26
Manager of Nursing Specialty Professional Practice Program, Johns Hopkins Health System
Manage 30 Nursing Practice and Professional Development Specialists that work throughout Hopkins downtown campus and Bayview Campus. Integrate nursing education on both campuses.
- Colleges/Universities attended: University of Virginia for Undergrad; Johns Hopkins Nursing for Masters
- Undergraduate major: Nursing
- Volunteer work: Healing ministry at Church of the Nativity
- Other interests: Hiking, walking
- Favorite subjects in high school: Biology
- Advice for Maryvale students: Invite Jesus to be part of your studies and career choices. Ask Him to navigate you to a career that will utilize the gifts and talents that He has given you.
Dana Sloane, MD P '24
Gastroenterologist & Department Chief, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group
Approximately 80% of my time is spent in direct patient care – office visits and procedures – and the other 20% is devoted to managing the operations of my department.
- Colleges/Universities attended: University of Maryland (undergraduate and med school)
- Undergraduate major: Chemistry
- Volunteer work: Worked in weekend program for special needs children during college.
- Other interests: Gymnastics, ballet, choir, BSU (while in school). More recently, baking and travel.
- Favorite subjects in high school: English, history, chemistry
- Advice for Maryvale students: 1) Be prepared to hear “no”, and always have a backup plan. 2) Be honest and accountable, in all things. 3) Be committed to yourself and your dreams and try to have fun along the way.