Leadership Institute Career Seminar Series
Navigate your career using proven techniques provided in the Maryvale Career Seminar Series, sponsored by the Leadership Institute.
This offering is a three-part series that addresses areas centered on "Building Your Career Foundation," "Talking About You" in many forums such as interviews and networking, and "Making the Most of Career Transitions." Participation in all three seminars is encouraged, but not required, and guests are urged to bring their questions to enable meaningful discussion to compliment materials and information presented.
The Leadership Institute Career Seminar Series is open to Maryvale alumnae and parents.
All three sessions are free of charge and will include a light dinner. Sessions will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 5; Tuesday, Feb. 19; and Tuesday, Feb. 26 from 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
All events will be held at Maryvale Preparatory School (11300 Falls Rd., Lutherville, MD 21093) in the Rodriguez Center faculty dining room. The Rodriguez Center is marked with a red awning.
- Part One: "Building Your Career Foundation"
- Part Two: "Talking About You"
- Part Three: "Making the Most of Career Transitions"
Tuesday, Feb. 5 from 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Navigate your career by charting a path and having a toolkit to manage the unexpected.
- Identify, align and manage your career profiles (resume, LinkedIn, online applications, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) with a fresh brand.
- Capture your strengths, accomplishments and brand on your profiles using “STAR” statements.
- Match jobs with your skills, talents and aspirations.
- Your social media postings reflect you ... use them effectively.
Tuesday, Feb. 19 from 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Prepare meaningful questions to open a networking conversation or to use during interviews.
- Have the confidence and knowledge to discuss, accept, or decline job or promotion offers.
- Prepare STAR statements for many forums, i.e., interviews, business meetings, business lunches and dinners, while networking and practice using a conversational style.
Tuesday, Feb. 26 from 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Develop a plan for a successful transition to a new job, new company, new project assignment, new boss, new team using a customized checklist and “four-box model."
- Learn the business and stay current on your organization and industry.
- Balance applying your strengths and skills with aligning them to the new organization.
- Know when and how to say "yes" to stretch assignments.
- Build a network of peers, mentors, champions and mentees internally and externally.
About the Presenter and Career Coach
Denise Cortis is a retired human resources executive with more than 35 years of industry experience in career coaching for professionals and executives. Most recently, Denise worked in two business sectors of Northrop Grumman Corporation and, before that, as chief human resources officer for DLA Piper LLP.