Chronicles of Mrs. Cory: Arriving in Africa

 

The Maryvale Girls thoroughly enjoyed their day with the students from Starehe Girls’ Centre.  The Starehe girls welcomed us with a school song, tour and some tea. But the most impactful part took place during one of their activities. Using the ancient Chinese yin yang symbol, both schools examined and discussed how their respective cultures assign feminine and masculine traits. It was truly enlightening for both parties to hear personal experiences. It was so obvious that they were connecting, by the time lunch rolled around, the sound in the room was full of laughter and chatter. The rest of the day was spent playing games, singing songs and sharing stories. The day at Starehe ended with the planting of a tree, commemorating the newly formed bonds of sisterhood. 

As you can imagine, it was very difficult for everyone to say goodbye; it took them at least 30 minutes. (In my head, I was thinking, 'Wow if it is taking this long to say goodbye after only spending one day, they’re going to be in tears when we leave Daraja.') I was truly taken aback by how quickly our girls formed relationships and delved into the activities with honesty and sincerity. From the pictures, you can see that they had a marvelous time.

I must share that I am just beaming with pride and gratitude. Pride, that they are our girls and gratitude that they are appreciating every minute of this journey.

Yours truly,

Mrs. Cory

Fun Facts

  • The Starehe Girls’ Centre in Nairobi, Kenya is a boarding school for high school girls. 
  • It is recognized as one of the top high schools in the nation, receiving about 10,000 applicants each year for only 160 spots.
  • Approximately 75 percent of the girls have received a scholarship, while the other 25% are full paying.
  • About 98 percent of the students go on to university, and those who do not first attend a two-year community college and then apply to university. 
  • The head of the school is Sr. Jane Soita, SND, who is also serving as Maryvale's hostess.