Social Media Policy
1. Students may not use social media during the school day for any purpose other than academics.
2. Social media accounts may not be set up with the word “Maryvale” as a part of the account identification.
3. All messages or postings referencing Maryvale, formally and/or informally, its students, faculty, staff and/or visitors, to any Internet site at any time shall be educationally purposeful and appropriate. Appropriate messages would include such communications relating to Maryvale academics, co-curricular events and school community life.
4. Hate mail, harassment, discriminatory remarks, vulgarity, swearwords, other antisocial behaviors, chain letters and threats of any kind are prohibited.
5. Faculty, staff, coaches, administrators and other temporary personnel shall not request that students become “friends” or “followers” or to use social media as their only source of communication about Maryvale events.
6. Current faculty, staff, coaches, administrators, temporary employees and/or members of the Maryvale community who are already “friends” or “followers” are asked to “unfriend” or stop following current students.
7. If a current student is a “friend” or a “follower” of a current employee of Maryvale, she is required to “unfriend” or “unfollow” him or her.
8. Students making inappropriate references about the school and/or its students, faculty, staff, administrators or any member of the school community on any public Internet site will be subject to disciplinary action. Suspension or expulsion may be the result of these behaviors.
9. Students may not create, follow, friend or connect with any social media platforms that use the Maryvale name or any derivation of it unless created and/or authorized by the Maryvale Communications office.