Maryvale’s mission and philosophy acknowledges moral and spiritual development, which is highlighted at each grade’s annual retreat. Retreats, designed to foster the values and traditions of the Catholic faith, focus on prayer, reflection, and interpersonal relationships.
Campus Ministry offers a four-year retreat program for every year.
- Community Building Day is held during school orientation. The newest upper school class is introduced to each other and several of their “big sisters” through games, a scavenger hunt, learning the school song and small group conversations. The goal is for each freshman to leave knowing at least one person who she will be happy to see with the beginning of school. The junior class plans many of the events and work to build another connection with the freshman class.
- Class Retreat Day is held in the winter of a student’s freshman year. By now the girls know each by name. This retreat is designed to take the conversation deeper so each student has a better appreciation for her classmate.
- Students sign up for a Day of Service at various agencies, such as senior citizen centers, residential and school settings for children, soup kitchens, and more. Students begin the day with prayer and preparation and end the day in dialogue about their experiences. This helps the students to participate in the charism of St. Julie. She taught that all students should practice compassion.
- Students attend an overnight, two-day retreat during their junior year. Juniors’ sense of spirituality explodes during this year. This retreat focuses on her own personal spiritual growth and that of her classmates. Retreat gives students a chance to meet each other in a different setting and see how much more in common they actually have. It also allows students to experience God in prayer at a deeper level.
- Students attend an overnight, two-day retreat. Transitioning from high student to college bound student is an exciting and tough time. This retreat gives each student room for her to reflect on who she is and see who she wants to become.