Maryvale, a Catholic independent girls' school serving grades six through twelve, affiliated with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, provides an environment in which each student can reach her academic, spiritual, physical, and civic potential in a loving, supportive and diverse community. Building upon its unique and special heritage, Maryvale's mission is to provide an exceptional education that responds to change and prepares young women for life.
The Maryvale Preparatory School Board of Trustees seeks a President who believes in the transformative power of a Catholic girls’ school education and who will successfully lead the entire Maryvale community. The President reports to the board and serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the School, implementing the mission and strategic initiatives of Maryvale Preparatory School as approved by the Board of Trustees. The President oversees the Catholic identity of Maryvale in keeping with the educational and spiritual mission of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur who founded the school in 1945. The President must be a strong and decisive leader with a collaborative leadership style that empowers those with whom the President works by eliciting the best thinking of the team and unifying their efforts.
The President oversees the quality of the educational program, finance, enrollment management, fundraising, human resources, information services and facilities, assuring the effective operation of all aspects of the School. She or he is responsible for fiscal policy, assuring the School’s long term financial health and competitiveness. The President is the chief fundraiser and plays an active role in advancing the school, including community and alumnae relations.
As the visible leader of Maryvale, the new President will be expected to network effectively with stakeholders in the community to advance the mission of the school. An inventive, strategic, disciplined, and collaborative approach to leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving is essential.
Maryvale leadership will require meeting a range of internal and external expectations and needs which include:
- Direction and vision for Maryvale’s senior academic and administrative leadership, faculty and employees in the implementation of Board priorities, policies and strategic initiatives with a focus on mission, recruitment and retention and the academic program;
- Enhancement of a culture of continual professional growth and high expectations through effective performance appraisal, ambitious goal-setting, and targeted professional development opportunities;
- Partnership with the Board on matters of strategy, planning, financial oversight, and fund raising;
- Oversight of all financial operations and working directly with the director of business operations on a comprehensive business plan including strengthening auxiliary revenue streams;
- Leadership in alumnae and donor engagement and working directly with the director of development on all levels of gift solicitation.
- Practicing Catholic;
- Master’s Degree or beyond;
- Commitment to fostering the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur religious charism as the defining characteristic of the school;
- Enthusiasm for working in an all-girls educational setting.
The successful candidate will have a broad range of experience in the following areas:
- An understanding of girls’ education, including challenges, research findings, pedagogical trends, and opportunities for new initiatives and services;
- Oversight of leadership teams with regard to organizational development, strategic planning, and accountability;
- Strong background working with Boards of Trustees;
- Development of institutional vision and success in motivating others toward its implementation;
- Experience in student recruitment, admissions, and student retention;
- Solid understanding of budgets and audits, in order to lead the Maryvale leadership team in stabilizing and managing school finances;
- Hands-on experience and success in development, including alumnae engagement, donor cultivation, and major gift solicitation;
- Effective and persuasive speaking and writing skills.
Candidates should submit* electronically:
- A cover letter expressing interest
- A current resume
- A personal philosophy of education statement (no longer than one page)
- The names of five references
- If you have a deadline by which you must execute a contract with your existing employer, please indicate the date in your response
- All responses will be kept confidential until discussed and agreed upon with the candidate
Process and Timeline
- The deadline for applications was November 11, 2011. The Search Committee is in the process of reviewing applications.
*Contact: Betty Visconage, Chair, Search Committee
Maryvale Preparatory School
11300 Falls Road
Brooklandville, Maryland 21022